You never know what you will find in a house when you open it up. I found this little bird nest hiding in a floor. Who knows how long it has been there. Anyway I was working on a problem of a bouncy floor in an upstairs workshop and at first it looked like it would be a major problem and in the end it had a simple solution.
The floor was very spongy so we opened it up and found the problems. Number one the floor boards were only attached with a very few staples, and I mean very few like 4 staples in a 4×8 foot sheet. I guess who ever built it just thought gravity would hold them down. And problem number two, those blocks between the joists did not exist, we added them. The effect was the joists could not work together. Now when you step down on a joist the blocks carry some of the force to the next joist over and they move it to the next ones and so on. It makes for a vastly less bouncy floor when all the pieces can work as one.
And here’s a shot of all the blocks in and the insulation put back in place just before several hundred nails went in the floor to put it all back together.
One other interesting note, the brown thing in the foreground is an ac duct that someone made using the joists and some insulation so the duct tape and staples are there to keep the insulation from falling and clogging the duct in the future. I guess they were not worried before about duct leaks.
The fun continues…